Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Happy Birthday Bryan!


Bryan turns 21 today.

HIP HIP HOORAY!

He was the 'small one' for so many years that it keeps coming as a surprise to me that he's all grown up now.


It first hit me that he's no longer (literally, that is) my baby brother anymore sometime this time last year. It was around my wedding, and I needed all the hands I could get. There was of course Don, who I expected to pull his weight anyway, but a big pleasant surprise was having Bryan equally helpful and doing everything he could to make things nice and easy for everyone.


Calm, smiling, and nice through it all, he went from organizing William's Bachelor party, to being the 'drebar' for all my visiting friends, and running errands all over town to get last minute stuff ready, and best of all, being my secret surprise wedding singer (he was, FYI, the BEST wedding singer I could have ever-ever-EVER wished for).

Who would have ever thought that the little boy who is ten years younger than me, and who in my mind is was such a baby could have turned out so nicely? :)


I swear, he's such a fine young man now. And so fun to hang out with as well. Having him (and Kim) in Luxembourg late in Jan was so refreshing and enjoyable that I kept looking at him in wonder, and thinking how proud and happy I was to have those moments with my very very very cool and nice little brother.


On a rare emo note (since we're always poking fun at each other when we talk), I hope you know this Bryan: Annoying or not, nice or not, all these years, I've always loved you so much. Growing up, we may not have been as close as I wished because we were always separated by distance, but you were, are, and will always, always be on my mind all the time. If you ever need anything, I hope you know I'm here for you. Always.

Happy Birthday dearest Bryan. And cheers, with a caipirinha, to many more years of fun times for us.

Kiss, and a great big hug.

4 comments:

  1. aawww...happy birthday, bryan! you've grown so much - so liangchai already!! :P

    and heather - it's so wonderful seeing how loving you are with ur whole family. Posts like these make me smile :)) wanted to tell you also, that I MIGHT be working in shanghai (!!!). Will be going for a few interviews this week, and I'm super nervous. Mind giving me your number? Would love to ask you about working there, and also, would be great to catch up with u! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yi, i'll send you my mobile number to your mum's email, ok? and my skype contact too - cheaper to talk that way :) look forward to story-ing about SH with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and birthday wishes... this is a wonderful post, it makes me wish all over again i had a baby bro

    ps: love the new look of your site (actually i really liked the old picture too :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) thanks Aileen :)

    hehehe. i loved the old one too, but wanted to show off my new 'act cute' fringe :p

    ReplyDelete